I felt like it wasn’t going to end

by Anonymous

October 9, 2020

I found out I was pregnant over seas 2 weeks into my 5 week Europe trip, and knew there was no way I was able to keep the pregnancy as I wasn’t financially stable and there was no partner in the picture.

There wasn’t a lot I could do but enjoy the rest of my holiday and attempt to get emotionally ready for when I would get home.

It was a shock all the scans and appointments I needed to attend to get the process on the way but I was relieved when it came to going through the medical abortion. I was 8.6 weeks along which is very late for the medical abortion so there was nothing more I wanted than ending this pregnancy.

After I had the second lot of abortion medication I waited in bed and all of a sudden I had the most painful cramping that was almost unbearable. It followed by a fever and vomiting that stopped after 1 hour…. then the bleeding started and there was a lot.

I got quite worried about the amount of blood but couldn’t get onto the medical centre so I waited it out to see how it would go.

The bleeding did slowly go down after 24 hours and it became a heavy period that ended up lasting for maybe 1 week.

Then after became the spotting which seemed normal.

It came to 3 weeks post abortion when I started bleeding again, and became very worried. I called my nurse and she didn’t seem worried but booked me into a doctors appointment anyway. The bleeding kept getting heavier and clotting started happening.

No doctor seemed worried even though I was very pale, dizzy and having blood pretty much flow out of me.

Finally I had enough and had a friend take  myself to emergency, where I was almost about to pass out from the amount of blood I had already lost. They immediately got me onto a drip and gave me two blood transfusions.

They informed me I had some pregnancy tissue that was still remaining inside and needed to be removed. I went into theatre the next morning around 6am to have it removed.

The procedure all went well and I was more than happy the bleeding had stopped.

It was a tough 3 weeks and I’m still traumatised from the experience. I don’t know if I’ll properly ever get over it but I’m living with it and the experience will follow me.

Remember that our stories are ours to tell. We’d love to hear your story too!